Thursday 2 February 2012

Sweet Couture

Well it seems I lied. I thought living in a city would give me more opportunity to write about cupcakes, I was wrong - life is far too hectic right now to think of such things however, two weeks ago I found myself with nothing to do and so, like any normal person, I went to Covent Garden, in search of a new bakery and this is what I found. The price I believe was £2.50 and although sadly I do not have a picture of the cake to show you, it was a red velvet cupcake, and it looked pretty much like every red velvet cupcake I've ever tried.

Presentation: 3.5 - 4/5 (Classic)
 So the presentation wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, as I say, it looked pretty similar to the Hummingbird bakery and while this is obviously perfectly acceptable, it was a nice classic looking cupcake, there was nothing exciting about seeing it. (That is once you get past the excitement of it being a cupcake). There was a lot of frosting but for reasons I will discuss later, it needed the frosting. As well as this, the red-ness of this red velvet was lacking. But it was a fairly good effort.

Frosting: 5/5 (Nom nom nom!)
The frosting is probably my favourite part of any red velvet, and while as I'm sure you know if you've read more than one of these posts, I place a very high emphasis on the importance of the cake which is often so poorly neglected, but something about cream cheese frosting is just divine. This didn't disappoint. If anything it was a little heavy but it was so sweet that I really didn't mind ... I'm going soft ...

Sponge: 2/5 (Soft? Me? Never!!)
I was so hopeful for this cupcake but no, the sponge was terrible. It was somehow lumpy, it was not all that red, and the taste was not good. I tried some without the frosting and it tasted like a completely different cake. I think I've used the analogy before of the frosting being a scene stealer, and it really didn't have a difficult time doing so in this case. I don't know what they did but I was not impressed.

Overall: 3/5 (Not going back)
Once again it was the sponge that really let this cake down, I have tried to make red velvets before and I know it's difficult which is why I was impressed by the frosting, but would I go back just for the frosting? No. Onwards with my quest for the best cupcake.


No comments:

Post a Comment