Saturday 6 August 2011

Angel's Bakery.


This is a bakery I found about a year ago in Brighton and had the good fortune to rediscover when I re-visited about a week ago.
I may as well let you know now that this bakery produces the best cupcakes I've ever tried. I will admit that it feels somewhat a disservice to this blog that I'm revealing my favourite cupcake so soon! But this will at least serve as a bench mark, something I will be comparing almost everything too in some aspect or another.
Lastly, before we go on with the show, this was a chocolate cupcake with white chocolate frosting and white chocolate curls. The price was I think £1.87, although again I'm not sure, I tend to just throw my purse at the cashier in excitement, and disregard the price haha!

Presentation: 4/5 (nice job)
This is the only place I feel this cupcake falls down. It looks sweet and yummy, perfectly suited to the baby pink napkin - but I don't think *WOW!!!* It's not quite Rick Stein's in terms of presentation. The piping isn't fantastic, although quite nice, it's not distinctive and so this doesn't quite get the five, it could achieve.

Frosting: 5/5 (OMGHHKP)
A white chocolate frosting is a rare thing which is why I opted for this over my traditional chocolate, and I was not disappointed! It was perfectly light, buttery and creamy, not unlike an elaborate mousse in texture; it was also not too sweet and overpowering but was still obviously white chocolate flavour. I think the thickness was just right, I wouldn't have asked for more, although die-hard frosting fans may waver in agreement.

Cake: 5/5 (Finally!!!)
Finally, someone read my mind as to what makes a good sponge! (about time too!) (Joke!)
It was soft and spongy yet crumbly and light. I think it could literally melt in your mouth if you had the will-power and patience not to the eat that baby as fast as you could. It was chocolate delight in all it's glory, pure and simple, it took every inch of self-respect not to beg for their recipe. It didn't taste at all manufactured, it wasn't over/underdone, not dry nor too moist and could not be improved - I'm convinced that if they tried they would ruin it.

Overall: 5/5 (Please move into my kitchen)
I know what you're thinking, "But the presentation! The presentation!" The thing is honestly, it doesn't matter. Not in this case. So often the presentation is all that's focussed on and I think this bakery needs to be commended on it's ability to stick with simplicity and put their energy into baking the tastiest cupcake it is within human capacity to bake. Also, in truth, there were other more impressive cupcakes (the red velvet I believe, although this is a territory which I have yet to properly venture) and so this bakery really does deserve 5, I've never tasted a nicer cake. Honestly.

There is a danger that every other will disappoint, but have no fear, I'm open to suggestion ;)

xxx
S

No comments:

Post a Comment